Panhandle Lake 4-H Camp
Association was founded in 1947 with the purchase
of a 30-acre piece of ground. The first 4-H camping session was held
in July of 1948. At that time the camp consisted of just a few pole
buildings --- the long road of site development was just beginning.
The Association acquired an additional 30 acres in 1951, and have
since added to the land size, a few acres at a time, to reach a
total of 490 acres today.
In 1951 30 acres were set aside as a tree farm, this became the first 4-H Tree Farm in the nation. The 4-H Clubs of Mason and Grays Harbor own Panhandle Lake 4-H Camp so many years of fund raising has gone into the development of the facility.
The original building, being used as a lodge, was demolished in 1959 to make way for building the first true lodge facility. This second building was remodeled in 1994 to become the lodge you see on-site today. Over the years the Board built a dining hall, bathhouse, dorms for 50 persons, and 21 Adirondack cabins. The most recent construction project, completed in 2000, is a livestock facility encompassing a 38 stall barn, 190' x 90' arena, and 5 miles of trails.
Today we're not just a summer camping destination. It is a year 'round facility complete with a full commercial kitchen and a dining hall set up to accommodate 220 individuals. A modern lodge over looks the lake, and indoor facilities meet the needs of a retreat center for 50.
Click here to view past campers memories.
Pictures from 60th Birthday Party:
click image's for enlargement
click image to donate